No big players, but small brands catering to India’s needs: CAIT


Thousands of smaller brands dominate the consumer market despite predatory pricing and deep discounts by foreign e-commerce companies and efforts by some FMCG companies to marginalize the distributor network, says the Confederation of All Indian Traders (CAIT), which represents approximately 70 million traders nationwide

“If the government grants supportive policies to the non-commercial sector and compels e-commerce businesses to obey the policy and the law in letter and spirit, the nation’s retail business is bound to flourish. in line with Prime Minister Narendra’s vision. Modi for Make in India and Atmnirbhar Bharat,” said CAIT BC Bhartia National President and General Secretary Praveen Khandelwal.



CAIT said it is a myth that around 3,000 major corporate house brands, especially in FMCG, consumer durables and cosmetics, cater to the needs of the people of the world. country. He said that there are more than 30,000 small and medium regional brands that contribute the most to meet the demand of the Indian people.

According to a recent survey by CAIT Research & Trade Development Society (CRTDS), a research arm of CAIT, around 3,000 corporate brands serve the needs of almost 20% of India’s population, while more than 30,000 000 small and medium brands are responding to the demand of the rest of the 80% of the country’s inhabitants

“These include products made by small and tiny manufacturers and producers whose products are sold across the country in bulk,” said Bhartia and General Secretary Praveen Khandelwal.

Bhartia and Khandelwal said that corporate brands are in demand among upper and upper middle class tiers due to extensive media and outdoor advertising and celebrity brand endorsements, while small and tiny brands manufacturers are sold through one-to-one contact with customers and traders as well as oral advertising to the middle, lower and economically weaker classes.

Bhartia and Khandelwal said that among the trade verticals in which the survey was conducted are food grains, oil and kirana products. Other categories included cosmetics, loungewear, ready-made clothing, footwear, toys, educational games and healthcare.

Dear reader,

Business Standard has always endeavored to provide up-to-date information and commentary on developments that matter to you and that have wider political and economic implications for the country and the world. Your constant encouragement and feedback on how to improve our offering has only strengthened our resolve and commitment to these ideals. Even in these challenging times stemming from Covid-19, we remain committed to keeping you informed and up-to-date with credible news, authoritative opinions and incisive commentary on relevant topical issues.
However, we have a request.

As we battle the economic impact of the pandemic, we need your support even more so that we can continue to bring you more great content. Our subscription model has received an encouraging response from many of you who have subscribed to our online content. More subscription to our online content can only help us achieve the goals of bringing you even better and more relevant content. We believe in free, fair and credible journalism. Your support through more subscriptions can help us practice the journalism we are committed to.

Support quality journalism and subscribe to Business Standard.

digital editor

Comments are closed.